Saturday 9 May 2009

The Beginnings of Life


Conception and Contraception
Pagans have no prohibitions around the use of contraception and in a world that is overwhelmed by humans we tend to use it wisely. We have no hard and fast rules about when life begins but we believe in the inherent importance of all living things, including the unborn.

Abortion
Some of us will get pregnant and not want to be. No woman would be condemned for having an abortion. She will be supported with some solemnity in her choice knowing the emotional cost to her is great.

  • Paganism is unique in having a ceremony where the pain of abortion and rape is recognised and dealt with. It is called the Reconsecration of the Womb (See Appendix 1) and is very useful in helping a person come to terms with these traumatic situations.
When I came into hospital for my termination the nurse I was under saw I was Pagan and I was treated with utter contempt. Also when I went for a scan to make sure of the age of the foetus, the Catholic nurse on the scanner tried to force me to see 'your lovely little baby' on the scanner. I found the whole thing quite disgusting.

I don't know what the climate is now but I find it an outrage to have these religious nutcases running around hospitals and shoving their own views on people who are very vulnerable at the time. Can you imagine if a Pagan nurse started trying to 'convert' a devout Muslim?



Pregnancy and Birth

Planned pregnancies are common in Paganism. Many of us choose a special time and place to conceive and because of the life changing and sacred nature of pregnancy and birth, and its uniqueness to the individual, we dislike being processed.

Pagan women make the same choices in maternity care as non-Pagan women but perhaps we’re more likely to opt for home and natural births.If the woman has or develops a condition that requires extra help i.e. diabetes or preeclampsia, then of course she will accept that help, but she will want to be informed and involved in her care.

You may find that Pagan women are less inhibited than the average woman in labour since we’re not ashamed of our bodies. Indeed, the whole reproductive system, female and male, is especially sacred.

In 1985 I was having my baby in Mayday hospital in Croydon. The midwife was very Pagan friendly and so were the entire staff. I was allowed to have the coven in to help me in the delivery room, there were 7 of us! The midwife chatted that the badge on her hat was St Juno the patron saint of midwives and that she knew she was a Roman Goddess. She also told me that sometimes there's an aura when the baby is born and that once she was delivering a baby when the whole room filled with a pink light coming from the baby. She gave me my placenta and umbilical cord in a bag for a ritual I had planned later. Nobody questioned my motives or made me feel weird for asking. So all in all a very positive experience.

A pregnant woman is a reflection of the goddess, she is creating new life and this is a miracle. A labouring woman is powerful and to be treated with respect and reverence. Labour is a force of nature, something that is not fully understood, that has evolved with us and so we trust it to work for us rather perceiving it as a life-threatening event.

Most Pagan women will want to be quietly supported to cope with labour in a very instinctive way. In this manner, a woman is less likely to require analgesia or intervention. However, analgesia is certainly an option is she wants it, as is intervention when research based evidence suggests it.

After delivery you may find that the woman is not very concerned about the childs weight or whether it’s covered in blood and vernix but will want to spend time getting to know this new life. You may also find that she will want to keep the placenta. My daughters’ placenta is buried beneath her namesake tree in Kew Gardens. Most Pagan women will breast feed, some will choose not to, and all will welcome your support.

I stopped breast feeding and developed Mastitis. I was rushed into hospital with a fever and was delerious. I put Pagan down as my religion on the booking-in form. Next minute as I was laying in bed delirious on Morphine, an evangelical Christian nurse came in and tried to convert me. She said I was a Jezabel and that I needed to embrace the Lord. It took all my strength to whisper...fuck off.


If things do not go to plan
If the pregnancy or delivery does not progress normally then everyone has to adapt for the wellbeing of the mother and child and parents will want you to do everything possible.

If the child is very ill baptism is absolutely out of the question, no matter what the midwife or anyone else believes. Some Pagan parents will chose to bring their sick child home and all will want their child to die in as little distress as possible surrounded by love and peace. Most will not agree to an autopsy unless the coroner insists after they have spoken with him, even if the problem is genetic.

  • Midwives are special within our faith; we hold the profession in high esteem. The term ‘Midwife’ comes from the old English meaning ‘With Woman’ or the Anglo Saxon ‘Wise Woman’ and the spirit of the word is enshrined in law today. When caring for a woman with a normal pregnancy midwives are free to make decisions based on their intuition and knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment